Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Chapter Thirteen

Sorry for the wait, I have been absolutely swamped in homework, projects, and tests that I haven't had time to even write! I am trying my best to post at least once every week, I cannot tell you the exact day, it may be a Saturday or it may be a Tuesday I'm not sure. One thing is for sure though, my hockey season has started up again meaning that Saturday mornings and Monday evenings there will be no posts. Anyway, sorry for the rant, please comment and enjoy!

***

Coasting Down Memory Lane;
Chapter Thirteen.

On July twenty-second Riley arrived in Sydney, Australia. Once she stepped outside she was in complete awe. It was so beautiful, it truly was paradise. She saw the nice, sandy beaches and then the water, oh the water. So blue, so clean, she couldn’t wait to swim in the water. But first she had to find her apartment. When she found the apartment she went up to the front desk to ask for her keys.

“Hello,” a woman who was in her mid 30’s said through a thick accent.

“Hi, I just got here and I was told that this is the place where I will be living.

“Alright, I’ll just need your name and some ID.” She said politely.

“Riley Jacobs,” she said as she pulled out her ID.

“Alright Miss Jacobs, just take the elevator on the left up to the eighth floor then you should find your room easily. Your room is room 885 it should be on your left when you exit the elevator.” The woman said. “Oh and don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to your neighbours!” she said cheerfully.

Riley spent the next few weeks unpacking and getting settled in. She had met her neighbours the first week and they were all around her age and there was this guy who she already had a tiny crush on. His name was Toby and he was originally from Sydney, Australia. He was tall, about 6’1, short blonde hair, icy blue eyes, nice build, basically the one person who could take Riley’s mind off of Sidney.

“So uh, I was wondering…” Toby said in his amazingly sexy accent. “Would you like to go out on a date with me?”

“Yes! I mean uh, sure.” Riley answered a little too excited.

“Great! So I’ll call you later, alright?” he said as he nodded his head towards her.

“Uh-huh.” Was all Riley could spit out.

They dated for a while and then eventually became boyfriend and girlfriend. They seemed to get along really well; they both had a love for water. Toby loved, absolutely loved to surf, while Riley loved to just swim. She had taken surfing lessons one summer in Rimouski so she was able to kind of keep up with her boyfriend.

People were heading up to the shore line while Riley and Toby were a ways from it. They were in their own world and just having fun. They saw a wave coming in and decided that they were going to surf on that one, since it didn’t look too bad. As it came closer it got bigger and Riley had an uneasy feeling about it as she saw it gain in height. She looked at Toby for reassurance and he nodded, signalling that it was going to be fine. They stood up on their boards as the wave came towards them. Just then the wave split in two, Toby, being the one who grew up surfing knew how to handle the situation, where Riley, who didn’t have the slightest idea of what to do panicked. Before she could say anything the wave had gained even more strength and she lost her balance. The wave forced her under and her board up ahead of her. The waves came rushing back at a rapid speed from the shore – bringing her board along with it. The surfboard hit Riley right in the head, instantly knocking her out of consciousness.

She awoke a few hours later in a hospital room, alone. She didn’t understand why she was there and why her head hurt so much. She sat there pondering over her thoughts for fifteen minutes until a doctor came in.

“Hello, Miss Jacobs,” he said brightly.

“Hi…”

“How are you?” he asked as he picked up her chart.

“Oh… I’ve been better,” she replied.

“I bet. Do you know why you’re sitting here, in a hospital bed?” he asked, seeing if her memory had been suffered during her little incident.

“Not really,” she said as her head started to hurt more than before.

“Alright, that’s expected. You did hit your head pretty hard,” he said slowly, letting it seep into her mind.

“I did?” Riley questioned.

“Yeah, do you want to know what happened?” he asked in a soft tone.

“Sure,”

“Well, I take it as you went surfing with a young man by the name of Toby Lander?” he half asked.

“Alright,” Riley replied, wanting to know what else had happened.

“Well, you were surfing on this huge wave and it split into two waves, causing you to fall in between the two. Your board flew out from under you and then came rushing back at quite a forceful pace and basically hit you square in the head. You were knocked unconscious for three and a half hours.” He concluded, leaving Riley puzzled.

“Oh,” she said quietly.

“Do you remember any of this?”

“Honestly, I don’t really remember who Toby Lander is,” she said with a sigh.

“You should regain most of your memory back over the next week or two.” Dr. Thomas replied with a genuine smile.

Just as Riley was about to ask Dr. Thomas another question there was a knock on the door. There stood a young man and a young woman. The man being tall and quite good looking, Riley was mesmerized by his gorgeous blue eyes. The woman was shorter than he was; she was about 5’8. She had light brown hair with green eyes. Riley looked at them, completely confused. Dr. Thomas welcomed them in the room as he told Riley that he would check up on her later. The two young strangers took the seats near the bed.

“Hey Rye,” the woman said in a soft tone.

“Hi,” Riley replied with a shaky voice. She was on the verge of tears because she had no idea who anyone was or even who she really was.

“Do you remember us?” the young man said quietly.

Riley shook her head from side to side with a frown evident on her face. “I’m really sorry that I don’t know who you are…” Riley said, barely above a whisper.

“It’s alright, well then we might as well introduce ourselves. I’m Brooke and this is Toby,” she answered with a small smile.

“Oh hi,” Riley said with a smile. “So how exactly do I know you guys?”

“Well, we’re like best friends and Toby is… your boyfriend,” Brooke said as she hesitated at the end.

3 comments:

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

Well in reply to your comment on my story. School is ok, but taking AP English was not the brightest idea & I am pretty much drowning in homework for this weekend. And thank you so much for reading my story I really appreciate it.

Now on to your story...I love it as I`ve said before. You are an amazing writer & I can`t wait for more.

Tay Tay said...

What a bummer, not remembering who your really hot boyfriend is and all. Great chapter! Please post soon!

P.S. Hope the homework stack gets smaller :)

Sam said...

Thank you for the comments and for reading my story, I appreciate it. I was going to post Chapter Fourteen tonight but Blogger is being dumb. It says it can locate it. I was so ready to post too, I finally had time! Grr. For sure there will be a post tomorrow.

Again, thank you for all the comments and for reading it! =]